SQL Server Performance

Software Engineering Feats

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Oct 10, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

This weekend I am in Wagga Wagga, which is a rural town five hours inland from Sydney, for the annual SQL Down under Code Camp. In order to get to Wagga Wagga there are two options, either fly or drive from one of the larger cities. The flight is on a Dash-8 aircraft, which is a small aircraft that flies about 40 people. It is about the same size of most small luxury aircraft. As someone who flies regularly, I normally do not give too much thought to the engineering evolved in a plane getting off the ground and arriving safely at its intended destination.
    However, on a small aircraft you are exposed to a lot more, especially when the plane is prop-driven. I read an article once that Microsoft Windows is the world's most complex engineering project due to the billions of lines of code. Based on this rational I am sure that SQL Server must also be up there with other complex engineering projects. Many people might argue that a plane is more complex than Windows because if a plane crashes it could potentially kill people. However, when you think about it, SQL server drives many critical functions every day, such as hospital systems and rail networks. If these systems fail they could also result in death. I think sometimes we take for granted what a marvel many software engineering feats are.
    - Peter Ward
  2. brianryberg New Member

Funny you should mention Dash-8 in connection with getting offground and arriving safely :) The Scandinavian airline service had a few issued aith Dash-8 recently :) - A plane that of ourse had NO problems according to airline and manufacturer - until it happened again - and again - and . ...Dont know if its a proper analogy to the conmplexity of windows though ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80iUMh6G-18