SQL Server Performance

Software Testing

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Nov 13, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I have been working with an organisation of late that develops shrink wrap software. Over the last few days they have been preparing for an upcoming major release and I have certainly had my eyes open to what I think is the best testing and release methodology that I have seen in a long time. All too often software is released that is not ready for production. I think the desire for companies to ship software before it is ready is a direct result of the influence that Web 2.0 has had on software engineering. Most Web 2.0 applications that are released are shipped extremely quickly and have a Beta label slapped on them in order to justify the reason that the application is full of bugs.
    The problem with this influence is that Microsoft appears to be taking a similar approach with the CTP release cycle. Rather than testing software using internal processes it appears that more and more responsibility for testing is being placed on people that download CTP software. It is not the responsibility of people that participate in the CTP release cycle to identify and log bug reports. The reason that people want involvement in the CTP programme is to test internal applications against new versions of software and not to test the software release. Do you think that more bugs are being released in SQL Server as a result of the CTP programme?
    - Peter Ward
  2. fdcusa New Member

Yes, and not just SQL Server, but ALL software! I *never* participate in any Beta software. Software Companies should be charged with shipping a product that works (minus a bug here or there) or don't ship at all. Unfortunately where I work -- a small SQL/VB/Access shop, the Owner/Director of Development produces untested code and sends it to Testing to get the bugs out. And another Developer he hired is following right in his footsteps. Very unprofessional and tells me they don't take pride in their work.