SQL Server Performance

Solid State Disks - Data, TempDB??

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by yorkw, Apr 11, 2009.

1. yorkw New Member

We are building the order for a new production server (datawarehouse, heavy random reads & sorting).
    Considering some use of SSD technology - DB currently split into multiple filegroups on two Raid 10 .mdf arrays on separate controller channels and MSA50s (HP Proliant 585).
    Current box has DB split into multiple filegroups on two Raid 10 .mdf arrays on separate controller channels and MSA50s (HP Proliant 585 G2). Even with decent performance configuration, heavy report procs are I/O bound. Current config is SQL Server Std 64-bit, dedicated box with dual processor-dual core and 16GB memory.
    Thoughts are to put most heavily accessed tables (currently in separate filegroups) onto solid state drives.
    Wondering about placing TempDB on solid state drives - most info I've found is pretty dated (1.5+ years old) and had concerns about write speeds.
    New box is Proliant DL585G5, dual processor-4core, 16GB or 32GB memory with 2 MSA60 storage chassis, 146GB SAS 15k drives and Raid 10 - multiple spindles for performance that gives us tons more space than needed for 120GB database.
    Anyone have thoughts/experience on current SSD technology application to SQL Server 2005??
    TIA, Wyatt
  2. satya Moderator

Are you still looking help on this one, I know it was a quite while you posted here [:)].
  3. yorkw New Member

Actually I determined that the SS disks I was considering don't work in the particular box we're purchasing....so no longer a consideration.
    It would seem that reasonable cost 64Gb modules that plug in like disks should start generating consideration however...???
  4. satya Moderator

Cool, so this means with this setup the scalability can be achieved on hardware side. Have you thought about PERFORMANCE on SQL Server side?