SQL Server Performance

Solutions That Last

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Nov 28, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I have spent the last few days training in Hobart, which is in Tasmania, the southernmost state in Australia. Today I took the day off to spend some time in Richmond, which is a 30-minute drive from the centre of Hobart. Richmond is famous because it is home to the oldest bridge in Australia. The bridge was constructed in 1833. Although the bridge is 175 years old, it is still being driven on. When this bridge was built cars were not even invented and the bridge would only have been used by horses and carriages. However, the construction was so good that it has been able to adapt with the changing needs.
    I often think that when a lot of software applications are devolved they are designed with a short-term focus. The average lifespan for software in just over five years; however, often applications are shipped without a solid foundation. So no matter what a company does to the application, they are simply building on top of a house of cards. When you design a schema, do you think about the fact that your database may still be in use in 10 years time?
    - Peter Ward
  2. karenlopez New Member

This short term focus on software is what leads to most of the team dysfunctions related to conflicting goals. While applicaiton software tends not to stick around for decades, data sticks around for centuries. So when I want to use a data structure that finds the right balance of performance, quality, usability, and persistence but my development team members just want to optimize development time, we don't have the same goals.Sure, I could whip up a data model that supports one table for each of their queries, but what is the point of optimizing developers' time if the data the are processing in their application is wrong? Faster bad data?I work with data right now that is more than 150 years old. And most of that data will continue to be part of that organization's business processes going forward another 150 years and more. That's why my designs address future usability and quality of the data.