SQL Server Performance

Some points for Optimization

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Performance Tuning' started by atulgoswami, May 31, 2009.

1. atulgoswami New Member

Hi,

I was thinking of below points for as is there any relation with performance optimization
    1. Use of reserved keywords in creating #temp table or @table variable
    2. Use of system supplied function (ISNULL, RTRIM...etc) assume if is not required
    3. LIKE operator
    Thanks,
    Aero
  2. ghemant Moderator

Hi Atul,
    Could you please be specific!! What are you looking for!!
  3. atulgoswami New Member

My points were related to query performance optimization.
    Like,
    Does usage of reserve keywords has any disadvantage if we consider performance from execution plan of view or any other?
    on similar lines for system supplied functions ISNULL, RTIRM, LTRIM as it performs Compute scaler. In nutshell if i remove these (as all these are not required and dev has put it) then would it improve the performance.
    Like operator has it own cost to provide required result set
    Thanks
  4. FrankKalis Moderator

From a performance perspective it shouldn't make a difference if you name a table [Order] or [Bob]. From a logical perspective things may be different though, but that's where common sense comes into play.
    For the use of functions: If you are certain that you don't need them, just don't use them. Every function call incurs some overhead. However many times you'll find that you're not that much into control over the data as you would want to be. And in such cases it is "better" to code defensively which may mean using functions to save yourself from incorrect data,