SQL Server Performance

'space available' and dbcc updateusage

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by sqlexpert, Dec 12, 2007.

1. sqlexpert New Member

i have a question as dbcc updateusage correct page and row count inaccuracies in catalog views, and I had problem that my DB space available was showing to 0 and later it is corrected by running dbcc updateusage so while it was showing 0 at that time users will face performance issue or it is just to reflect ,and internally sql maintains the pages to grow, so in other words if I leave 'available space' as 0 and don’t run dbcc updateusage how it is going to impact my sql server for new page allocation and is it going to impact the performance in any way?Thanks
  2. martins New Member

According to my knowledge it is only important to update statistics, and usage is only informational and would not impact performance.
  3. sqlexpert New Member

My customer is coming up again , does any body know for sure?
  4. satya Moderator

As referred few times the GUI will be flaky in reporting such information, you don't go with those figures always. If you need to accurate information then you could run SP_SPACEUSED @UPDATEUSAGE='TRUE' to get more information and bear in mind running this during busy period will have some performance affect.
    So better to run intermittent REINDEXING of those tables that are busy in dealing with application requests.
  5. sqlexpert New Member

Thanks Sathya , but i am still looking my answer that until i run dbcc updateusage and 'available space' shows as 0 and i leave this as it is,is it going to impact internal performance hit for sql server to allocate pages?
    my customer wondering that the performance issue resolved after running dbcc updateusage but for me it looks only to update the correct values for user reporting since it updates catalog views, any input?