SQL Server Performance

Spatial Features

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 8, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

While I was at the SQL PASS Community Connection event in New Zealand on the weekend I saw a great presentation on the new spatial features in SQL Server 2008. One of the demos I have seen many times is the ability for organisations to utilise Live Maps and create a visualisation of data. For example, 'show me the closest salesperson to this customer'. Although the demos look great there does not appear to be a large number of people that are utilising the available features.
    When I talk to people this might simply be because they have not deployed SQL Server 2008 yet; however, often the response is that there are a large number of limitations in the current version of the feature set. Although it is version 1.0 there are some significant features missing that are required for geospatial data—for example, the ability to use raster imagery and the limitations converting between spatial data types. Existing products already provide this functionality albeit for an additional cost; however, many people do not want to stop using functionality that they have come to utilise. If you are looking at the spatial features in SQL Server 2008, is the lack of features holding back your adoption?
    - Peter Ward