SQL Server Performance

SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 Server in the same Cluster, Performance Considerations

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by 99redcamaro, Oct 4, 2007.

1. 99redcamaro New Member

i have both SQL 2000 Enterprise and SQL 2005 Enterprise running on a 2 node Active/Passive Cluster
    servers have 8 GB each, quad core CPu's etc,etc, DATA and Log Hard drives are SAN Connected.
    i've configured both SQL server instances to use 3gb max memory, and i'm using the /3GB /PAE switch.
    in the SQL 2005 manager i have setup SQL 20005 to use 3GB min and max, is this the correct way to do this ? should i enable set working set size in both servers since both of them are using min and max memory values set up to the same size ?
    any performance considerations tips i should use with 2 instances of sql in a 2 node active/passice cluster ?, i've been playing around with afinity mask, and what not, should i use affinity mask on both instances or let sql decide what it want to do with the CPU ?
    aolso, i've seen that in SQL 2005 there is a affinity I/O mask that shouldn't be used with the cpu affinity mask, is that right? if i pick CPU affinity mask, and pick 4 CPU's for example, should i just leave the I/O affinity mask on by default ?
    Thanks
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

You are jumping the gun some here. If you are having performance issues, your first task to determine what they are. For example, are you experiencing hardware bottlenecks, are queries taking to long to run, and so on? You need to use System Monitor, Profiler, DTA, and Performance Dashboard to gather up as much information as you can to make a diagnosis. Once you have done this,then you can get into specific solutions. Right now, it is hard to make recommendations unless you do more research into the underlaying issues. I recommend that you not play around with processor affinity, unless you really know what you are doing. Also, if you have not done so, do the performance audit outlined on this website to get you started.