SQL Server Performance

SQL 2000 Standard Edition AWE Enabled

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by hixaugust, Oct 24, 2007.

1. hixaugust New Member

Hi Guys,
    I would like to get an opinion regarding the configuration of SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition with AWE enabled. It is running on Windows 2003 Standard Edition with 4 Processors and 4GB RAM. I believe that SQL Standard only supports 2GB RAM. Does it have an impact on system performance if AWE is enabled? I'm not sure why it was configured that way and so I am looking for information that would give me reason to change the configuration. If there is no impact if it is enabled or not I would just keep the current settings.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Hix
  2. satya Moderator

3. hixaugust New Member

Hi Satya,
    Thanks for the quick response. I was able to read these articles and some stuff also from other sites regarding AWE. I'm particularly concerned about the settings of SQL that is enabled even if the supported memory is only 2GB. Although all information says SQL2K Standard does not support more than 2GB RAM, I have not come across an article that specifically says it should not be set to enabled. I'm not sure and would like to get information if SQL will behave erratically if AWE is enabled in a SQL 2000 Standard Edition. I have to give some justification or proof before I can make changes in the production environment.
    Cheers,
    Hix