SQL Server Performance

SQL 2000 to a Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by fnadal, Sep 17, 2008.

1. fnadal New Member

What are the many pitfalls and issues of moving a production server running sql server 2000 enterprise edition to a virtual machine? Is it even possible? Is it compatible? I've talked to a few dba's in my neck of the woods and all of them say do not do it. It's the way sql 2000 is designed to access the disks and performance will take a huge hit. No matter how much you upgrade the VM, performance will suffer.
    I'm basically trying to talk corporate out of moving our production boxes to a VM environment. Our boxes are not only accessed by hundreds of users each day through different web applications and connections, but we have log shipping and replication set up on those boxes as well.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, offer articles, or insight to NOT do this, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you so much in advance.

2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    I would say the same as you have got from the DBAs within your area, as in SQL 2000 version most SQL Server installations don’t use 100 percent of a server’s resources all the time. In fact, many SQL Server applications use only a percentage of a server’s processing potential. SQL Server processor utilization tends to be high for short periods of time and think about when many number of users are connected whereby it needs to allocate memory to each connection.
    Virtualization is really all about the underlying infrastructure, done right virtualization works well, done wrong/cheaply it usually fails miserably. Probably the most important thing I've seen is that virtualization tends to place a lot of demands on the underlying storage layer which many SAN's/NAS's & fabrics/networks just aren't ready for.
    As you say your SQL instance is highly accessed then I wouldn't suggest to keep it VM at all, rather leave the SQL 2000 as is and concentrate on fine tuning of current performance problems.