SQL Server Performance

SQL 2005-64 bit

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by california6, Mar 13, 2008.

1. california6 New Member

Will my 32-bit application works, if i move my SQL 2000 Database to SQL 2005-64 bit running on OS 2003 64 bit? What are the advantages of moving to 2005 64 bit?
  2. davidfarr Member

There are numerous articles on the WWW regarding the advantages of 64-bit environments that can be Googled, perhaps the most relevant article for your specific question is http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/64bit/overview.mspx
    In short, 32-bit applications are only in danger of failing if they are installed and run directly on the 64-bit hardware itself. If your 32-bit application is running on a 32-bit client computer and is merely connecting to the 64-bit SQL server instance, then everything should be fine.
    I have encountered one notable difference between 32-bit and 64-bit SQL server versions when using older Visual Basic connection strings from VBscript files or "classic" ASP pages, in that connections to 64-bit instances require a SQLOLEDB connection:
    When connecting to 32-bit versions, it was possible to use this syntax:
    Set Db = CreateObject("adodb.Connection")
    Db.ConnectionString = "driver={SQL Server};server=<ServerName>;uid=<username>;pwd=<password>;database=<databasename>
    The same connection to a 64-bit instance requires a change:
    Set Db = CreateObject("adodb.Connection")
    Db.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;server=<ServerName>;uid=<username>;pwd=<password>;database=<databasename>
    Hope this helps.
  3. dadson98 New Member

Hi,
    We are currently using sql server2000 with classic asp. which is working fine.
    Now we have moved into a clustered sql server 2005 64 bit. I'm trying to connect with my classic asp. this is the connection string im trying to use and it does not work or its give me a error.
    Provider=SQLOLEDB;server=<Virtual Server><instance name>;uid=XXXXX;pwd=XXXX;database=XXXX
    I tried OSQL to connect to my DB which has not issues.
    Now can anyone help me is resolving this.
    Thanks a million
    Dinesh
  4. satya Moderator

5. california6 New Member

Thanks for the answers Satya. I have gone through the provided links and they are very helpful.
  6. MohammedU New Member