SQL Server Performance

SQL 2005 Memory usage

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by crashservices, Jul 29, 2008.

1. crashservices New Member

Hi,
    I'm a complete novice using SQL 2005 and would really appreciate some help. On our sbs server, SQL 2005 is consuming 1 GB of memory. This seems like alot of memory? Are there any methods to limit the amount of memory that SQL 2005 uses?
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums?
    That is quite normal I believe, what is the available physical memory on the server?
    What is the edition of SQL you are using?
    What is its service pack level?
    What kind of performance issues you have?
  3. crashservices New Member

There is 3 GB of physical memory on our server. It is an SBS 2003 Server. It's SQL Server 2005 workgroup edition with SP2. I was getting allocated memory alerts on the server initially. So, i removed antigen for exchange and replaced it with antigen for smtp gateways on another server. As far as performance goes, there was no mass influx of calls to the helpesk saying that the database was running slowly etc....It was more of 'oh my goodness, i can't believe the sql server has eaten up the memory that has been free'd up uninstalling antigen. I spose the more memory sql uses the better the performance? I was just weary of other critical services stopping due to lack of memory