SQL Server Performance

SQL 2008 64 bit configuration

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by WingSzeto, Jan 7, 2009.

1. WingSzeto Member

We are using SQL 2008 standard 64 bit on Windows 2008 enterprise 64 bit and it is a two node active passive setup. The two nodes each has 24 Gytes of RAM and each has a 2 cpu quad core. My question is more for the SQL server and windows configuration setttings. Are there any common settings I need to change?
    For windows, since it is a 64 bit version, all memory allocation is direct and available to be used for applications (in our case, only SQL server), there is no need to add the /3GB switch and are there any settings I need to be concerned?
    For SQL server, since it is also a 64 bit but a standard version, I would set the uppper limit on the Max Server Memory so OS has enough reserved room to work with (i.e. min 10 G and max 22 G). There is no need to turn on AWE in SQL, right? Other than these, should I leave all the default settings alone on the server properties window of the SQL server stance? More specifically, the memory settings, processors setting, Advanced setttings....
    Any pointers on this matter is very much appreicated.
    wingman
  2. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Hi,
    It looks like you have got it quite right - there is no need for /3GB and there is no *need* to turn on AWE/Lock Pages in memory although in some situations people do it even on 64-bit in order to avoid issues with working set trimming (as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918483) NOT to gain access to more than 3 GB memory. However, I would leave it as it is until proven to be necessary.
    Except for memory, most installations work fine with the default settings for SQL Server. When it comes to database settings - it's another story :)
    HTH
    /Elisabeth
  3. satya Moderator

I believe the environment is equipped with all high-spec configuraiton then you don't need any specific settings to takeover. Provided your code is optimized and normalized you shouldn't get any performance issues and if the database size is large then you might need to keep an eye on the backup functionality and the times it is taking to complete.
    See Rob's http://blogs.technet.com/rob/archive/2008/05/07/failover-clustering.aspx blog for more information on Winclustering.