SQL Server Performance

SQL 2008 64-BIT Database To SQL 2008 32-BIT Database

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by aarvind1, May 26, 2010.

1. aarvind1 New Member

Hello,
    I just built a server with following configuration:
    WIN 2008 64-bit
    SQL 2008 64-bit
    I need to move a DB that was created on the above server to another sever with Win 2008 32-bit to SQL 2008 32-bit.
    Is this possible, if so how would I go about accomplishing this?
    Thanks,
    Sachin
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

As far I know: backup and restore.
  3. aarvind1 New Member

Thanks Atul and Luis. We decided to reinstall the app and migrate the data on the 32-bit version of the DB just to be safe.
  4. moh_hassan20 New Member

Why 32 bit , if you have 64 bit processors.
    if your server is 4 GB or less , it may be reasnable for 32 bit
    Server 64 bit is also very safe , and client may be 32 bit
    btw, windows 2008 R2 is only 64 bit (no more 32 bit)
  5. Luis Martin Moderator

Budget problem[quote user="moh_hassan20"]
    Why 32 bit , if you have 64 bit processors.
    if your server is 4 GB or less , it may be reasnable for 32 bit
    Server 64 bit is also very safe , and client may be 32 bit
    btw, windows 2008 R2 is only 64 bit (no more 32 bit)
    [/quote]

Budget problems?
  6. aarvind1 New Member

No. The application performace was horrible and the vendor said it was due to 64-bit. But we just built the 32 bit environment and have the same issue but this time the SQL server is also slow.
    Here is the issue I am having. We are upgrading the application and the SQL server at the same time.
    Old PROD environment is 16 processors, 32GB RAM, Win 2003 SP2 and SQL 2005 SP2. A query will run in 26 seconds.
    New PROD environment is 24 processors, 64GB RAM, Win 2008 SP2 and SQL 2008. Same query on this server takes 1 mins 36 secs. The DBs were just backed up from 2005 environment and restored into 2008. I have matched following settings to the old environment (AWE support and parallelism).
    The other issue noticed is in the OLD environment rebuilding indexes takes 3 hours. Same jobs (sps) in NEW environment take 7+ hours.
    Any ideas?
    Sachin
  7. Luis Martin Moderator

Did you update statistics in new server?.
    Or, after rebuild (all indexes) do you have the same time (1 mins 36sec)?.
    Also, the what maxdop do you have set in 2005 and 2998?
  8. moh_hassan20 New Member

- what the size of datbase?
    -How many record in the tables included in the query?
    -can you check the execution plan of the query in the two servers?
    -is version #, SP the same in bothe servers.
    - what about disk IO in the two servers
    -on 64 bit you only need to grant the right "Lock Pages in Memory" to the SQL account for SQL Server to utilize AWE.
  9. aarvind1 New Member

The size of the DB is ~3GB
    I am only running running rebuild indexes and update stats on the both servers at this time and the time is almost double. When I run SP_WHO2 I see that the DB I am working with has CHECKPOINT flag set under "command' column.
    By this "is version #, SP the same in bothe servers" do you mean the service pack? If so, they are two different version of SQL. OLD PROD is 2005 and NEW PROD is SQL 2008.
    I am running the test for the DISK IO now.
  10. aarvind1 New Member

UPDATE: The AVG. DISK QUEUE LENGTH is 100% each time I run any queries.
  11. moh_hassan20 New Member

your database is 3GB , memory is 64GB , 24 processor , so database should swim in cache , and server should be faster, so it may HW problem:

- check the network card, it may kill your server performance if the network card on the server was set to half duplex
    sometimes replacing mal server network card /or Upgrading the NIC drivers may speed performance
    - enabled jumbo frames for Network card.

- compare the server configuration of the servers, you may find something help
    find max degree of parallelism and set it 0.

- can you check SQLServer:Buffer ManagerPage life expectancy it should be >=300

- enable page lock in memory

- Is the disks the same : number of disks , SAS/SATA, RAID level , location of data files/log files

- be sure that all drivers for HW for 64 bit are instaleed correctly.

12. venkatesanj@hcl.in New Member

13. satya Moderator

There will be no difference in migration a 32 bit database to 64 bit environment, as the 64 bit is only related to SQL instance and underlying database are same as SQL engine sees, the only difference it will makeis performance for application. See this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932180.aspx link that talks about configuration.
    What kind of problems you are getting after it is migrated?
  14. atulmar New Member