SQL Server Performance

SQL 2008 installation error on Win XP SP2

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by prabhabk, Jan 19, 2009.

1. prabhabk New Member

I've am trying to install SQL 2008 Dev Edition on my Windows XP SP2 PC, But intallation always failing with the below error,
    '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.
    i have tried in multiple time and tried installing from Administrator account as i've read it some posts, but no luck yet.
    can someone help me out to fix this issue
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Did you try installing SP3 first?
  3. prabhabk New Member

Do you mean Windows XP SP3? But, Requiremnts says Windows XP SP2 itself enough for installing SQL 2008
  4. prabhabk New Member

To be exact this is the info i get when i click help on the error details
    Details
    Product:SQL Server
    ID:15007
    Source:MSSQLServer
    Version:8.0
    Component:SQL Engine
    Explanation
    You have passed a nonexistent login to a system stored procedure that is expecting a valid login.
    User Action
    Reissue the stored procedure call with a valid login for the parameter.
  5. moh_hassan20 New Member

you can use one of the default user acoounts: system or network from the combo box during installation and assign that account for all services.
    only you have to add an account for administration , and also you can select it from winows user account with administration rights.
  6. prabhabk New Member

I'm using my account to install sql 2008,I'm having admin rights on the system, But still the installation fails
  7. satya Moderator

Can you look at the setup log and find where this is generating, find that stored procedure or code used.
  8. Ztrider New Member

I also have this problem. However i have Win XP (Home) SP3. I the log the text reads:
    Error: 15007, Severity: 16, State: 1.
  9. ghemant Moderator