SQL Server Performance

SQL Agent

Discussion in 'SQL Server DTS-Related Questions' started by lara99, Mar 3, 2008.

1. lara99 New Member

Hi all, I am trying to create an automationg job which involves putting almost 35 DTS packages together. And all the DTS packgaes depends on the success of its parent we can say. Now in order to automate this process I have scheduled all dts packages into jobs and created a master job which has steps as the individual packages and on success and on failure properties of these jobs are set to quit with succss and quit with failure.
    Now when I need a way to call this master job through command line. What I did is I created a new package with an execute t-sql and use sp_startjob stored proc to start the job. I executed this parent packages using dtsrunui. as soon as the job starts control comes back saying that packages execution completed. not taking care of the further execution of job.
    Now is there a way out to execute a sql agent job through command line not to start but to execute so that I cna run my process as my process is part of a large automation. The condition should be if my process failes then the other process shouldnt go further.
    Would be thankful if you give some feedback..
    Thanks,
  2. satya Moderator

You should have such a control of jobs execution within the master job and based on the execution and default settings the job will report success.
    What is the problem in keepin all of these pacakges atleast 10 package by using a workflow method in order to reduce such an overhead.