SQL Server Performance

SQL Cluster running at 97% memory utilization after Windows 2003 SP2 install

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by SandraV, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SandraV New Member

I know SQL 2000 is ancient history but we've just recently installed Windows 2003 SP2 on a SQL 2000 cluster (plus a firmware update and hot fixes). These servers have 32 GB available and SQL is configured with AWE enabled and max server memory (MB) of 30,720 MB. However, since the update, the monitoring system reports a consistent 97% memory utilization. This is regardless of which node is active - it happened on both.
    Our server team has an open call with Microsoft but right now, I'm puzzled by the math. If we've given SQL a max server memory setting of 30 GB and 32 is availble, I would think our monitoring system would have been reporting ~93% memory utilization prior to the update. I'm wondering whether the memory utilization was this high (higher with what the OS is using) all along but that the memory counters might have been fixed in SP2 or one of the hot fixes.
    Note: We're not seeing application issues right now but this cluster has recently had a couple of odd episodes where the app has become unresponsive, SQL eventually is not accessible and failover was required.
  2. melvinlusk Member

What monitoring system are you referring to? Are you getting this from Task Manager?
  3. satya Moderator

WHat kind of performance problems you are facing with this high memory spike?
    Are you using any MSMQ (messaging) related applications?
    Is it a dedicated SQL Server machine?
    Also if you have an application that connects to SQL Server by using TCP/IP, are you gettingany one of the following error messages:

Error message 1
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB] General Network error. Check your network documentation

Error message 2
    ERROR [08S01] [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Communication link failure
    Are you using any NIC driver other than TCP/IP? m