SQL Server Performance

SQL DBA designation Levels

Discussion in 'SQL Server-Related Job Postings' started by rayala.thulasi, Nov 6, 2010.

1. rayala.thulasi New Member

Dear All.
    Good day to all. The question is not related to technology and it's a genaral Question about DBA designation levels in industry.
    I would like to know one thing that what will be designation levels of SQL DBA in Industry like : Junior DBA , DBA , Senior DBA ...... ??? Please update me what will be the next levels?
    Regards,
    Thulasi.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

I never understand what that levels means.
    Age?
    Years working?
    How big is the Company or Companies DBA was working?
    If any DBA have no field experience with 24x7, clustering, etc. then don't qualify for Senior?.
    Just a thought....
  3. rayala.thulasi New Member

Hi Martin.
    Here i am reffering Carrier Growth in terms of Levels..
    For Ex : In development Environment we will be having the levels , Soft Engg , Sr. Soft Engg , Team Lead , Project Lead , Associate PM , PM etc.
    Similarly i would like to know in Database Administration Side . I hope you will under stand what i am looking for?
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

Well, may be I'm not the best guy to help with that.
    Anyway, check how one company is looking for one DBA:
    http://sql-server-performance.com/Community/forums/t/31172.aspx
    Also wait for others members opinions.
  5. FrankKalis Moderator

I think it really depends on the company you work for. I am aware of this "Junior" vs "Senior" distinction, but what comes thereafter is really individual to each company.
  6. rayala.thulasi New Member

Hi Thanks for the update. I agree that which is depends on company to comapany. But can you explan by explaining between two Companies , if you have some sort of idea on it.
    Thanks in advance.
  7. Luis Martin Moderator

Let me ask you some question:
    I'm 61 years old. I begin to work with Univac 90/30. 16K (yes, you read well) of RAM in 1974.
    Now I'm freelance DBA (and I can install OS windows server 2008, 7, or DOS in any XT as well any SQL version) and I have no experience with clustering.
    So, what level I have?.
  8. satya Moderator

Thulasi
    The designation in Indian IT companies varies between each of them, as what Luis mentioned.
    The starting level will always be Jr.DBA and after 3 years exp. it will be Sr. DBA on tehs ame company. The Sr.DBA will go on for atleast 10 years of experience and after that they may call it as Principal DBA or DBA Manager.
  9. ghemant Moderator

Very true, all his depends and varies from company to company. For example, if the company you are working for have more then one DBA then only it signifies the title like Sr. DBA or Principle DBA or DBA Manager. Consider a case that one of the top 5 IT company is having a big project wherein more then 250 associates are working and there is a team of 15 DBAs (including oracle, sql server ....) now a person who is heading a team of DBA can be called as Project Manager( for Database Team) or DBA Manager or Principle Manager.
    And, all this is based on the experience and knowledge level you gain through out your career as a database professional. Some company have Jr. DBA -> Sr. DBA -> Principle DBA -> DBA Manager kind of career path and some have different.
    HTH