SQL Server Performance

SQL FOC failover error logs

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by Hitesh Shah, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Hitesh Shah New Member

There are certain event log message when I took SQL server group offline when no body was working for OLAP service .

Event Type:Error
    Event Source:MSSQLServerOLAPService
    Event Category:(289)
    Event ID:10
    Date:4/7/2008
    Time:9:48:51 AM
    User:N/A
    Computer:SQLCLUS
    Description:
    Anerror occurred while closing the trace output file,\?F:sqldataMicrosoft SQLServerMSSQL.2OLAPLogFlightRecorderCurrent.trc.

Here is another error 21 at the same time for logwriters .

Event Source:MSSQLSERVER
    Event Category:(2)
    Event ID:5159
    Time:9:48:51 AM
    Description:
    Operatingsystem error 21(The device is not ready.) on file "F:sqldataMicrosoftSQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLDATAmodellog.ldf" duringCheckLogBlockReadComplete.

-------------
    Event Source:MSSQLSERVER
    Event Category:(2)
    Event ID:9001
    Time:9:48:49 AM
    Description:
    Thelog for database 'tempdb' is not available. Check the event log forrelated error messages. Resolve any errors and restart the database.

But I can bring the resource online and i get informatonal logs . SQL protocol is named pipes .

Further I can create txt file and delete the same on shared storage f: .

I can create txt file on f: and delete the same on the same node .

Also as explained by u i moved the group to 2nd node and then created / deleted a text file on f:.
    Further investigations revealed.

1. In the error logs f: is showed as "\f:" something like it .May be path is stored wrong somewhere in registry but it does not show up in cluster administration. Can I check.

2.Advanced property for SQL server network name has 'DNS registration must succeed" unchecked . According to me it must be checked .

3.While installing SQL server group , for specifying the I could not specify the private IP though I have private network configured (in fact there are 2 private network though cluster allows only one to be specified ) . For private network , role is internal communication only . Should it be mixed .

4. Service accounts and cluster admin accounts are different . Do I need to assign any specific path rights to cluster admin for SQL folders .

2. MohammedU New Member

May be no one was working on OLAP but may be OLAP service might be installed and it was running...
    The trace file what you see in your event log was a default OLAP trace backgroud by MS, I believe it similar to default SQL trace.
    Based on the error, drive was not available when it tried to write the data....