SQL Server Performance

SQL Hardware

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by alexboy456, Jan 24, 2007.

1. alexboy456 New Member

I wonder if you can help me. i am unsure if this is the correct forum but what the hell. i am specking up a server to run SQL 2005 standard to run our SAge database. as well as a few other data bases. i am looking @ the DL385 G2 with duel duel-core opterons 8gb ram 4x 72gb 15krpm SAS hard drives in a raid 5 and 2 10k drives in a raid 1+0 and 512 BBWC enabled raid card. unfortunately the sage database will not run in 64bit mode so i am havig to stick to windows enerprise 32bit. Would you stay with the Opteron or change the server to the duel Quad-core xeon cpus everything else will be the same
  2. joechang New Member

6 disks is seriously under powered for a db,
    plan on getting 1 external storage unit of 10-15 disk along with internal disks
    or consider the ML370G5 which supports 16 internal drives with optional drive cage

does the Sage DB have executables or xprocs? or is it purely a db
    if just a db, then it doesn't know if the db is 32 or 64

will it run on SQL2005
    in either case, run 32-bit SQL on W2K3 64-bit, this is best

my feeling on third party apps is that if 64-bit and SQL 2005 is not supported
    something is wrong with the company
    possibly the original developers have left, the original company was sold a company that specializes in milking support contracts, but with little ability to make changes
  3. alexboy456 New Member

Sage will not support the SQL running on any 64bit app at all i have looked in to it. for the size of the datdbase an external drive array will be for to much hard ware i would be supprised it the database will be 10gb. also i think the SAGE will be running on the server and that is why it they will not be supporting 64bit. i am a bit dissapointed as i am having to spend an extra £1000 on windows enterprise to support the extra memory,.

thanks for the info