SQL Server Performance

Sql Logs

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by travistan, Sep 24, 2006.

1. travistan New Member

Hi ,

How can I configure on Sql Server 2000 in order to save the latest Sql log ? I am not able to view the latest log in the Enterprise Manager.

Thanks ,
    Travis
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

I assume you are referring to log backups? If not, then I am not sure what you mean.

If you do mean log backups, you first need to make a backup of your database, then use can use the same backup tool to manually back up your log. If you are a beginner, the easiest way to automate the process of daily full backups and regular log backups is to use the Maintenance Wizard.

It is important to back up your logs often, as this is the best practice way to truncate the log and reclaim disk space. Otherwise, your logs can grow and grow, wasting a lot of space.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
  3. travistan New Member

Hi Brad ,

Sorry to confuse you. When we open the Sql Enterprise 2000 , -> Management -> Sql Server logs , there are several Sql logs stored. Let's say today's is 25-Sep-2006 , but the "current" logs show in there was dated on previous month. Means I am not able to track the current activity. Just want to know any configuration I need to do ?

Thanks ,
    Travis