SQL Server Performance

SQL Profiler hangs when trying to connect to AS2005

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Analysis Services' started by EMoscosoCam, Feb 24, 2008.

1. EMoscosoCam Member

Hello
    I am trying to SQL Profiler to the AS service which is running on the same machine, but the profiler hangs.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks a lot.
  2. satya Moderator

Any error or warning while trying to access the profiler.
    Probably run SYSMON to see what it is doing in terms of memory & cpu resource usage, also try to open PROFILER from another machine and connect to this instnace.
  3. ranjitjain New Member

Do you face similar issue while connectiong to AS2005 through SSMS?
  4. EMoscosoCam Member

I can connect to AS2005 by using the SSMS.
  5. ranjitjain New Member

Hi,
    If you can connect to SSAS through management studio without any fuss, then it shouldn't be a problem while connecting through profiler. Is it happening always or periodically. I'm sure you must have tried, but Restart AS service when profiler hangs and then try and re-connect. There could be possibility that some long running mDX must be running or cube could be processed at that time. During this re-connection, open task manager and check msmdsrv.exe process activity. Also as Satya said, memory and processor utilisation as well.
  6. ranjitjain New Member

Hi,
    Also check if sql browser and SQL AS service are running with same system account. You could even try changing both services to run with your account credentials.
  7. EMoscosoCam Member

In fact, the problem has happend to me with SQL Profiler 2005 trying to connect to AS2005 and now with SQL Profiler 2008 with AS2008. In both cases, with fresh installations (no cubes).
  8. EMoscosoCam Member

Well, all the services Log on as Administrator, and I can connect to AS by using the SSMS. But the SQL Profiler still hangs.
  9. satya Moderator

It happened in my case also and found out that client tools on my local machine were the culprit, so you may try replacing/updating them.
  10. EMoscosoCam Member

But I am using the just released February CTP of SQL Server 2008 (the same happend months ago with AS2005).
  11. satya Moderator