SQL Server Performance

SQL SERVER 2000 - LOW PERFORMANCE

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by kaushik, Oct 28, 2009.

1. kaushik New Member

Hi,
    My self Kaushik Mistry. I need help from you all.
    I am using sql server 2000 for VB application and i have two live databases one of 7.5 GB and one of 5.2 GB.
    I have Xeon IBM Server with RAID 5 (3 HDD , 36 GB each) and Windows 2003 server.
    But Database server response is very low, now how can i improve performance of DB?
    Can someone help and guide me to do this?
    Regards,
    Kaushik

2. FrankKalis Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    You're asking a black box question. It could be anything from application to network to database server. Can you try to be a little bit more specific and give more information why you think the database server is the bottleneck?
  3. kaushik New Member

User has to wait for long to get results, to save entry, reports gets timed out, even simple select statements are taking long time to execute.
    Pl suggest how to perform performance tuning?
    Kaushik
  4. johnson_ef Member

HI Kaushik,This is a generic question and difficult to answer. You may need to answer many questions like, how was the performance till now? I mean any history of this server. Was it good, better??Again you may need to analyse the database and the tables, its fragmentation? How old is your hardware? Because hardware has some life span. Did this query performed in the same way in client and server?If these questions are there, then we can narrow down the issue to some specific area for further analysis.
  5. ravi0207 New Member

Hi Kaushik
    I would suggest trace your SQL server for some time and find out longest running queries or stored procedure and try to work on those stored procedure/SQL queiries, and also check your indexes and create indexes based on your queries.
    Try to find out unwanted indexes and remove those indexes, this will definately improve insert/Update and delete performance.
    Do database maintenance regularly like shrinking log file, re-indexing.
    I hope this will help you.
    Regards
    Ravi
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

Reading your first post I presume you are doing your first steps in performance.
    I suggest to read and follow this article:
    http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/per/performance_audit_part9_p1.aspx
    HTH