SQL Server Performance

sql server 2000 utilizing 99% CPU

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by rajeshsv, Dec 22, 2009.

1. rajeshsv New Member

Background - I support an application which runs on ASP and little bit of .NET and SQL server 2000. Have a separate IIS web and sql server running on windows. Lately I have been seeing performance issues. I notice the application becoming very slow every day at a particular time for few mins.. The time it happens is not consistent.. It's been happening at 10.45 AM for past few days and it might start at 4 PM from tomorrow.. There is no pattern..At this time I see the CPU utilization reaching 99% and is consumed by sqlservr.exe and CPU utilization drops drastically in few mins and the application runs normal.. I have tried using profiler and can't find any thing. I saw this message "Some trace events have not been reported to SQL Profiler because the server has reached its maximum amount of available memory for the process." being logged quite a few times in trace file.. Not able to find the bad process which is consuming entire CPU..I did check the paging, disk i/o and everything seem to function normal. I have also disabled all db processes running at that time.. but i still continue to see the problem.. there was no recent changes to ASP code either... Any thoughts on why this issue could occur ?
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forum!!
    What SQL sp do you have?
    Is sql server dedicated?
    When you say 99%, this value came from Performance Monitor?
  3. rajeshsv New Member

SQL SP2 is what I have and Yes, the sql server is dedicated..
    I found sqlservr.exe consuming 99% in windows task manager on the windows server.
  4. sqlrunner New Member

It's been a while since I have used SQL 2000, but in general sql server is rather aggressive and will use all available resources. Is this a new behavior or are you just noticing it?
  5. Luis Martin Moderator

I suggest to install sp4 and back with cpu % from Performance Manager.
  6. rajeshsv New Member

My bad... It runs on SP4... that was a typo..
  7. rajeshsv New Member

yes, for past 2 months..