SQL Server Performance

SQL server 2005 database has grown big in 2 days

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by singhas20, Sep 26, 2008.

1. singhas20 New Member

Currently the database is on SQL server 2005 Workgroupedition.
    This customer had a corrupt database last week, so I backedup their db and brought the copy in office and re-built the database. On 24th,I restored the fixed db on their server that time the size of the db was 7 MBand today i.e. on 26th when I checked the size now it’s grown to 7GB. I tried to shrink the data file, now the size is reduced to 5 GB. They musthave posted the 2000 transactions in last 2 days.
    Also, when I checked the size of the back up files (backedup by the maintenance plan), the size on 24th was 7mb, and it grewto 2GB yesterday.
    Can you please tell what could be the problem here and howdo I resolve it?
    Thanks in advance,
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forum!.What kind of recovery model do you have?
  3. singhas20 New Member

Thank you !!!
    The recovery model is full and size of the transaction log file is 1024 kb.
    Today I ran to reindexd two of the transaction files and then ran ShrinkDatabase, which broght the DB size to 2 GB.
    But again after a day the size will will go back to 7 GB where as the actual database size is not more than 1 GB.
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

When you work with full recovery models, you have to backup transactions log very frequently. Said, each 15 minutes and , of course, full backup each day.
    Also if you reindex and and then shrink, all reindex work will loose.
    Check in this forum when you have to use full or other recovery model.

5. moh_hassan20 New Member

review a similar case, may it help:
    http://sql-server-performance.com/Community/forums/p/28259/151390.aspx#151390