SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2005 Install on Cluster

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by Trev256, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Trev256 New Member

Dear all I've installed SQL Server 2005 on a cluster. But I can't see the management studio (enterprise mangaer) Where do I need to look?
    Note: Workstation components/BOL/Dev Tools didn't install correctly - I think due to Notification services didn't install (failed - no transaction manager).
    Do I need to install SQL Server on the other node (physical machine) as well?
    Thanks
  2. alzdba Member

If you install SQL2005 on a cluster, you need to install the client-components on both nodes ! (at least one node requieres the extra client install (=workstationcomponents))
    Investigate why the NS-install failed, as well as why the workstationcomponents install failed. The logfiles can be found in C:program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server90Setup BootstrapLOG.
  3. satya Moderator

That Notification Services is dependant on settings on the server such as that should be allowded the all ICMP option from advance option.
    >>Administrative Tools>>Component Services>> Computers>> Right Click>> Prpoerties.
    1 Allow inbound
    2 allow outbound
    3 allow remote clients
    4 Allow remote administration
    5 Enable TIP transactions.
    6 Enable XA transaction
  4. Trev256 New Member

I have installed SQL Server 2005 on one node. I don't need notification services.
    1) I then installed workstation components but can't register the SQL cluster. How do I register the cluster??
    2) Do I need to install the same SQL Server cluster on the other node or just the workstation components?
  5. satya Moderator

6. alzdba Member

- Check out the refs Satya posted [H] !
    - on the other node you only need to install the workstation components (=client)
  7. Trev256 New Member

Thanks everyone - Thanks to alzdba too.
    I will install the workstation clients on the other node (physical machine).
    I'll let you know if I can get it to failover etc.
  8. Trev256 New Member

Just a quick one - what is the best way to test failover???
  9. satya Moderator

10. Trev256 New Member

I get erro when trying to create maintenance plans!!
    It says I should install SQL Server 2005 Management Tools - Any idea on how to do this??
    Thanks
  11. satya Moderator

It means the client tools are not installed properly or not upto date with service packs, check it out.
  12. Trev256 New Member

I've been asked to install SQL Server 2005 service pack 1 - The SQL Cluster is version 9.00.2047.
    Should I install later version - or doesn't it matter for service pack 1?
    I've rebooted both nodes (physical machines) and still get the same problem.
    What else can I check?
  13. satya Moderator

14. alzdba Member

If you can, go for SP2 (bugfixes + changes to gui !! + performance dashboard (add-on) ) + cumulative update 2 or 3 (KB939537)
    It runs fine overhere.