SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2005 Installation - Log and Data file path settings

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by eysce1@hotmail.com, Oct 31, 2007.

1. eysce1@hotmail.com New Member

Let me start by saying that I am not a DBA. I'm a hardware guy.
    I am installing SQL 2005 on SAS drives for a client that will run Dynamics, but my familiarity is with SQL 2000 on U320.
    The server:
    HP ProLiant ML370 G5
    2 x Intel QuadCore Processors
    16GB RAM
    LOG: 2 x 36GB 15K SFF SAS RAID 1
    DATA: 8 x 72GB 15K SFF SAS RAID 10
    SA P400/512 - OS and Log
    SAP800/512 - Data
    Win2K3 Ent. R2 x64
    SQL 2005 Std. x64
    I have learned lessons in past about the importance of separating the log files and data file onto different arrays. I fully understand why this is done.
    The question:
    Is it possible to specify paths for for the log files and data files of the system databases during the install of SQL 2005, as you can with the program files. I have moved the log files of the system databases for a SQL 2000 enviornment after the install. Its a pain and would prefer to configure this during install. If it is not possible, is it necessary to do this or best practice, and is it done in the same way as SQL 2000: single user mode, detach, move, attach.

An additional question:
    Does SAS change the thought process of setting up arrays and partitions for SQL?
    Thanks for your help,
    Mike
  2. thomas New Member

Don't worry about the log files of system databases (except tempdb). There is little logging going on in master, model, msdb (usually). For tempdb, moving the log file is very easy - you just use an alter database modify file statement, restart sql server and delete the old file.

For user databases, you just create the data and log in the right places when you create the database.
  3. satya Moderator