SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2005 mirror can't failover to primary DB

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by marrow, Apr 23, 2008.

1. marrow New Member

Before I test the SQL Server 2005 mirror failover, I would like to know any case that after SQL Server failover to mirror server and can't fail back to the primary DB? I want to test it before application code implement failover coding.
    I can also make sure the DB failover is working under my expectation. In case the mirror DB can't fail back to primary DB, our application is not going to work anymore as it cna't find the new mirror DB. if it can failover without any problem. then I am ok with this. But what if it can't.
    Any one please share your experience.
  2. satya Moderator

First question is have you tested the failover and application connectivity on your end?
    Whatever you have defined can be achieved using Database Mirroring provided your application code is optimized to find the relevant server, in this case best option is to test and try.
  3. marrow New Member

Dear satya,
    I am ready to test the fail over and I have communicate with our developer on the client coding so that client applicatoin know how to find the mirror server.
    Just in case the server can't fail back, what can I do? I don't want to install the DB from the ground up. Once I click the failover button then everything can be started. But I just wondering what if I can't fail back, our developer will blame us on not checking it well before go ahead.
    but I think what I will do is to back the DB and then restore the DB in case it really happen or if the DB can failback but the application can't find out the primary server again.
    Marrow.