SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Nov 3, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

If I asked many people this time last year what SQL Server release they were most looking forward to in 2008, I am sure that there would have been a unanimous response of SQL Server 2008. However, now that SQL Server 2008 has been released, I think the most eagerly anticipated SQL Server release is SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3. A lot of people expected that with all the issues surrounding the release of Service Pack 2 that Service Pack 3 would be released sooner rather than later. However, it is getting close to two years since the release of Service Pack 2.
    It looks like the wait is finally over and that we will see Service Pack 3 before the end of the year. The CTP for SQL Server 2005 SP3 is now available and can be downloaded for testing from here. Many people were extremely vocal about the release of SP3 and it is great to see that the SQL Server team listened to the voice of reason. Do you think that the wait between Service Pack 2 and Service Pack 3 was too long?
    - Peter Ward
  2. phcahill New Member

I'm glad to see SP3 on its way. Although the cumulative updates are good, I'm sure not I like the implied disclaimer.I would rather see emergency patches for those with issues and quarterly updates that have explicit support. After all SQL Server aint cheap.