SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2008 cluster instance installation fails

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Clustering' started by VMotion, Aug 16, 2011.

1. VMotion New Member

Hello everyone,

This issue must have been discussed countless times on forums but it seems to me that I cannot break the loop I am in.

We have a SQL 2008 clustered instance on Server 2008R2 running on three nodes. I am trying to install another named instance of SQL server 2008.During installation I got the following message:
    The cluster resource 'SQL Server (named instance name)' could not be brought online. Error: The resource failed to come online due to the failure of one or more provided resources.

Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much.
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    Have a look at the cluster.log and event viewer on that node to see why the SQL server service is not starting when you can see the cluster resources are being online.
  3. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

This is almost within clustering of SQL Server 2008 + 2008 R2 which is relevant almost to bring online DNS of new cluster ..Why ..?

Since it fails to create cluster DNS using your own domain credential or the appropriate domain credential you install with due to either :

· Insufficient privileges of your own credential to create a computer account within AD

· Different computer container name specified for AD

So here you could go :

1. Assure you run cluster installation with slip stream installations on SP1 at least by:

· Copy the SP1 to C:\

· Right click CMD >>open using your own domain credential

· Then C:\SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe /x:C:\SP1

· Then go to directory of SQL Server installation source Setup.exe /PCUSource=C:\SP1

· The same apply for SP2 with just changing names of SP like “SQLServer2008SP2-KB2285068-x64”….etc

2. Assure You have sufficient privileges to create a computer account within AD or domain admin for a temporary.

3. Start cluster installation >>Open cluster Management using your own domain credential >>>Keep monitor till cluster create its resources ..

4. When creating DNS recourse >>> it might gives you the above error >> then right click this resources immediately >.bring it online manually