SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2008 CU1

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 24, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

As SQL Server 2008 has now been released for eight weeks, the first Cumulative Update (CU) has appeared. Cumulative Update 1 contains the hotfixes for issues that have been fixed since the release of SQL Server 2008. The details for downloading this CU can be found here.
    Cumulative Updates are part of the Incremental Servicing Model that was introduced in SQL Server 2005. Under this model a CU is released every eight weeks. However, there still appears to be confusion as to whether a CU should be treated like a hotfix or a service pack. What I find interesting is the wording in the disclaimer for a CU: "If you are not severely affected by any of these problems, we recommend that you wait for the next SQL Server 2008 service pack that contains the hotfixes in this cumulative update package." A colleague of mine sarcastically said that this is because the cumulative updates are not regression tested, hence if installing the CU causes a problem it can be argued in court that the server was not "severely" affected by the issue and the CU should not have been applied. Now I am no legal expert, but perhaps he was on to something?
    - Peter Ward