SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2008 export data to xml

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General Developer Questions' started by dropout, May 4, 2010.

1. dropout New Member

Hi all,We are a small company and more and more companys (buyers of our products) request a electronical catalog of our products.
    Now I got two options:
    1. I create a query for every customer to extract the data he needs. (but I'm kinda lazy ...)
    2. I create an XML-file, which meets the BMEcat standards. (BMEcat is a wide accepted catalog standard in europe)
    As you can imagine, I'd prefer option 2.
    Now the problem: I don't know how. (what a surprise)Well, as far as I know a xml-file represents structured data. So it's quite a bit like a relational database.Would it be possible, to create a database, which is exactly like the xml-scheme. Fill this database with the appropriate data and then export the database to a xml-file.
    Sounds really logical to me, but I'm quite sure it won't work like that...But is there another easy way to do such a export? (I'm just a poor DBA and no professional developer)
    Thanks for any helpReto E.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Why not just use a "traditionell" relational database and then have a small client that reads the database from the database based on what each customer is allowed to see and generates the XML file in the needed format? If this is an online application, if could even be something like a webservice.
  3. dropout New Member

Hi,
    I managed to get the needed XML structure with a select with lots of nested selects and 'for xml'. Just took some time to get behind the select for xml logic ...