SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2008 ODBC and Access

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by seguinsoftware, May 7, 2009.

1. seguinsoftware New Member

I am linking an Access database to SQL Server 2008 using ODBC. I use the 2008 drivers and I can set up the link and it tests fine. In the database I can open the tables and edit/view the table's data. When I open a form I get an error:
    Connection failed:
    SQL State: '08001'
    SQL Server Error: 10061
    [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 10.0]TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
    If I click ok and then ok on the next SQL Server Login popup (Using trusted connection) it will display the form and the data.
    Any ideas? I have made sure the allow remote connections was enabled and also tried different protocols.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

3. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    What kind of protocol has been enabled on server side?
  4. moh_hassan20 New Member

do you use named instance?
    run sql browser.
  5. seguinsoftware New Member

Thank you for your responses.
    The server I am using is the same machine I use for development. So, I tried all the protocols as well as trying each as the only one enabled. I am not sure why this worked, but I relinked all the tables in the Access application and that has solved the problem. I upgraded the server and the ODBC drivers, but when I did this is did something to the links in the database. I am not sure why.
  6. moh_hassan20 New Member

It is supposed as you linked sucessfully the tables , the link continue working.
    if you use dynamic port , try to use static port.
    let tcp/ip the first protocol using the configuration tool.
  7. seguinsoftware New Member

I tried that as well. I had to re-link the tables. I do not know why that this had to be done.