SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2008 r2 fine tuning

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by salim71, Aug 10, 2011.

1. salim71 New Member

Hi,

can anyone give me some guidelines (tips and tricks) on fine tuning sql server 2008 r2 database ?
    Thank You
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

There isn't any specific guideliness to state that so and so will get you the fine tune of database, you should come out with more details such as the performance loss symptoms, system configuration and any problems that you may see.

Also I would encourage to get my book (see the signature) which can guide the administration level tips and tricks that you can take advantage.
  3. salim71 New Member

thank you, thats a great one
  4. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

It is a big article ....But please start with studying Query Execution plans and how to identify Ugly part + enhance them and how to transfer voluntary Index scans to index Seek with the minimal I/O + CPU cost as possible
  5. preethi Member

Hi Salim,
    Welcome to forums.
    the one line question could be answered by writing a couple of books only. (That's why Satya recommended his book)
    A couple of years back Mcgee wrote a few articles in this site under a series SQL Server 2005 Performance Audit. Most of the things are applicable to 2008 too. I believe they are still available. That too is a good start.