SQL Server Performance

SQL Server and MSAccess (for moderator)

Discussion in 'Please Tell Us What You Think' started by pkstormy, Nov 23, 2006.

1. pkstormy New Member

I totally disagree with the home pages first statement on using MSAccess as a frontend to a SQL Server backend!! (does the host on this board know about the capabilities of MSAccess and the tricks to make MSAccess a GREAT frontend to SQL Server?) It's statements like the first sentence I read on this board which really sadden me because it shows a lack of knowledge on techniques and MSAccess.

As I've stated countless times - it's all in how you design the table structure and how you write your code.

I've proven this with MSAccess as a frontend and SQL Server as a backend. MSAccess as a frontend and a backend SQL Server was used in several programs I developed to keep track of all of the Midwest Energy conservation programs (about 10 gig of data)! The application wrote 4000 checks each month totalling over $500,000 and automatically balanced to the bank. So if you get an ENERGY STAR rebate check, know that you're getting it from an MSAccess application!

I've programmed with MSAccess since version 1.0 and SQL Server since version 6.5 and I can tell you they work as an ENTERPRISE level application! YES - I said Enterprise level application and I'll challenge ANYONE to ANY application to prove it!! I really hate to see boards and hosts like this one which think you can't use MSAccess as a frontend as an Enterprise application or shouldn't use it with SQL Server. I've done it countless times and I can prove it works very well!

Lack of knowledge is no excuse for discrimation or writing things you're not 100% sure about! I could've written the application in Foxpro or Powerbuilder or Visual Basic or C with the same results (it would've just taken me 5 times as long). But I wrote it in MSAccess (using unbound forms which is a technique I think was forgotten when the home page was written.) Again, if you want to challenge me, I can, have, and will prove it!

I would recommend the host of this board change their opening home page to something more accurate in regards to MSAccess and SQL Server!
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Can you please clarify what statement you are refering to?

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster:http://www.insidesql.de
  3. judehk New Member

I guess you are referring to the first page of the Performance Tuning tips page. In fairness the tip doesn't state that Access can't be used as a front-end or even that it shouldn't be used, jsut that if performance optimization is the goal then Access should be avoided. I've used Access 2003 several times as a front end and it worked very well, pretty much every DBA I encountered however advised to avoid to it if performance was a major issue. That's not to say that it is gospel, but I'll turn this over to the pros...

(btw : happy to review and maybe publish any detailed performance benchmarking you may have)
  4. satya Moderator

It's all in how you design the table structure and how you write your code.
    This is applicable for all software applications and without proper planning its a dark in shot.

I would agree with Frank & Jude in this case to comeup with what exactly you want to debate or change. Your feedback is more appreciated here.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  5. bradmcgehee New Member

I am the author of the particular statement in question. About once a year or so I get feedback like what I am getting from you, and I always ask that person to please publish the right ways to work with Access, but I have yet to get anyone to help out. Perhaps you can write a difinitive article on how to get Access to play well with SQL Server.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP