SQL Server Performance

SQL Server Backup Job Maintenance Plan - Problem with Proxy Account and Permissions

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by dso808, Apr 1, 2011.

1. dso808 New Member

I created a SQL Server Maintenance plan to backup all our databases and store the files on a share. The job owner is "SA" but the job step is set to "run as" a proxy account. The proxy account's credential is a domain account that has the following database rights to MSDB - db_backuperator, db_dtsoperator, SQLAgentUserRole.
    Now we obviously don't want to give the credential/domain account SysAdmin rights to the server (which BTW, allows this job to run without a hitch). We just want to give the bare minimum, as per best practice. So when we run the maintenance plan, the job fails and we get the following error message:
    Executed as user: XYZsqlbackupadmin. ...9.00.5000.00 for 32-bit Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-2005. All rights reserved. Started: 6:00:00 PM Error: 2011-03-31 18:00:11.60 Code: 0xC002F210 Source: {2012CDE4-7671-40B1-92F2-26A84187DCDA} Execute SQL Task Description: Executing the query "DECLARE @Guid UNIQUEIDENTIFIER EXECUTE msdb..sp_maintplan_open_logentry '{1025AEF1-AC7C-48FB-9D44-C595BAF4CEBC}', '{845EB87D-0CB6-4E83-BFBD-298EA1B60FBD}',NULL, @Guid OUTPUT Select CONVERT(nvarchar(38),@Guid) AS RunId" failed with the following error: "The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_maintplan_open_logentry', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly. End Error Error: 2011-03-31 18:00:11.72 Code: 0xC0024104 Source: {E8DD7625-07DD-48C0-A98F-DE163EAE8A61} Descript... The package execution fa... The step failed.
    I've tried a variety of things like making the domain account (credential) db_owner for MSDB without any success. Again, the only thing that seems to work is if I give the domain account (credential) SysAdmin rights which won't cut it for us. Please advise. I'm at the end of my rope with this...
    Thanks in advance to all who reply!
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    Did you give that PROXY account 'db_backupoperator ' rights on that database?
  3. dso808 New Member

Hi satya and thanks for replying. I gave the proxy account 'db_backupoperator' rights in the msdb database which also gives the proxy account 'db_backupoperator' rights to all the other databases in the instance. Still no luck. Thanks again!
  4. satya Moderator

Ok to troubleshoot further you might need to search SQL Server error log for more information on backup failure.
    I believe thsi could be permission to execute that SSIS package to perform the backup.S See this community tip http://www.mssqltips.com/question.asp?id=7044 for more information.
  5. dso808 New Member

Hi satya - OK, I think I found an easy way out of this. I'm keeping the maintenance plan to do the cleanup in the beginning of old backup files. But I removed the part that actually creates the backups. I then add another step in the job (in SQL agent) and run this backup script which I found here:
    http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1070
    I have the script run as the domain account which we created to perform backup jobs. Seems to be working OK (so far). Thanks for all your assistance!
  6. satya Moderator

See that explains the problem, I think this was not hinted before in above posts. So I would say in any case if you happen change the jobs or maintenance plans ensure that they are recreated as per the previous working tasks.
  7. Kentril New Member

Hi, I wonder, if you save maintenance plan, does it change "run as" proxy account? Becase everytime I save maintenance plan it changes all steps "run as" in all jobs, which were created by maintenance plan, back into SQL Server Agent Service Account. If I save it I must change all jobs back. Look at it pls. The owner of maintenance plan is dbdb_backupoperator account. should it be SA? This happens in SQL 2005, 2008 2008 R2.
    thanx
    Jiri