SQL Server Performance

SQL server cluster for readonly databse

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Clustering' started by atanu, Jul 10, 2011.

1. atanu New Member

Hi there,
    Can we create a cluster for readonly database in such a way that the connections are not round robin based but on the basis of query content?
    For example...
    In an usual sql cluster of three servers, each servers will accpet connection in a round robin fashion i.e. every third connection will always go to the third server in the cluster irrespective of the query content
    My question is can we setup the cluster such a way that its based on query content i.e. whenever a connection from the cluster was request for query "select * from t_emp where name like '%drae%'" it always goes to a specifc server irrespective of its round robin state

Since executing same query multiple times in one server always has an advantage, therefore can this be incorporated in a cluster as well?
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    The Clustering services are not like what you are thinking, and in this case you should go for a software load balancing to choose specific connection to redirect to concerned SQL instance.
  3. atanu New Member

Thanks for your reply...could you please suggest a few alternatives for software load balancing to choose specific connection to redirect to concerned SQL instance?
    Thanks in advance
  4. satya Moderator

First of all I would like to know why you need or considering clustering for the read only databases?