SQL Server Performance

SQL Server Configuration Manager Error

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Ksr39, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Ksr39 Member

Hi Experts,

I got an error while I was trying to connect to the SQL Server Configuration Manager, The server is in cluster and it’s in Single node and it’s a Stage Server, so I configured DB Mail for alerts and to configure DB Mail we need to restart the SQL Agent Services, So thought of doing that from SSCM I was getting this error please let me know where I went wrong.
    This is the error i am getting

"cannot connect to WMI Provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 servers with SQL Server Configuration manager."

I am logging in with Admin roles.

Thank you all in Advance.
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

As per my understanding , you are trying to conduct your DB mail configuration using SCCM (System center Configuration Manager) , It will need not to look after your account but to look after the account configured with the SQL profiler inside SCCM which I am excepting the same service account installed with SCCM by default unless you created a specific profiler for SQL Server using a different account..

Therefore, make sure of granting both local admin on the nodes hosting SQL cluster+ Sysadmin privileges on clustered SQL Server instance

Kindly work out it and let me knew your feedback
  3. Ksr39 Member

Hi Shehap,
    I have checked all the permissions and i am having sysadmin on the cluster and SQL Server Instance. but even i am not able to connect to the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
  4. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

So ,I am forecasting it is purely a WMI issue on a destination DB Server that either:

1. It is down due to an insufficient memory issue ( Memory assigned for it around 500 MB ) that you need to free enough memory by around 500 MB for it and much preferable to be around 1 GB

2. WMI service is up and running but unreachable ( most likely ) which has lot of probable reasons and resolutions as well therefore, you can work out the below ones :

· Restart WMI Service at Destination server ( DB server)

· Run the below command prompt using elevated privileges (Run as administrator):

mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

Kindly work out them and let me know your feedback
  5. Ksr39 Member

Sorry Shehap,
    As the Server is built on a VM and if i restart the WMI it's going to restart all the VM's. so it wil be a big risk again and i trie dto run the command which you gave me but it didnt work in the command promt and throwed an error saying that the program files is not recogized.
  6. Ksr39 Member

Hi Shehap,
    I checked it by C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared path but I couldnt find the file which you said "sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof".
  7. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

If you have SQL Server 2005 on Win Server 64 bit platform , you might try the below CMD commands:

mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

However if you have SQL Server 2008 on Win Server 64 bit platform you might try the below CMD commands:

mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

However in case of you have any of them ( SQL 2005 or SQL 2008) installed on OS 32 bit platform or even installed on OS 64 platform but there is another SQL Server 32 bit is installed there , thereby you have to use the below CMD command respectively

mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"
    mofcomp.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

Kindly work out them and let me know your feedback
  8. Ksr39 Member

Hi Shehap,
    i am getting this error when i tried with both of the statements i got this below error message.
    The filename, directory name,or volume lable syntax is incorrect.
  9. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

Much weird as it is already working with me , you need to double check SQL Server installation directory that might be located under a different drive