SQL Server Performance

Sql Server not using all RAM...

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by greg.balajewicz, Jul 26, 2009.

1. greg.balajewicz New Member

Hello,
    I am a bit surprised that my sql server does not use full 16gb of ram with 3 very active database of 6gb each....
    When the server/service is restarted, it takes a good day or so for sql to grab all the memory available. I would expect SQL Server to load up all indexes and such into memory and keep them there and I believe almost all indexes are touch within a few min of service starting
    Is this something I should be concerned with?
    PS - my server is showing signs of stress btw and IO seems to be the bottleneck. I considered getting more RAM hopeing that sql server would be able to keep most of the database in memory so I am trying to determine why it is taking so long for it to use all 16gb right now.
    MANY THANKS for your help everyone!
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!.
    If memory is dynamically configured, then SQL take all the memory they need. I mean: only when is necessary.
    Also, 3 databases 6gb each, are small databases to think in by more memory.
    Try to tune io problem before that.
  3. greg.balajewicz New Member

thanks guys! i am actually not new to the forum but I could not recover the password to my login! :)
    Anyway, yea, the IO is definatelly an issue (I only got 2 disks raid 1) but I was just surprised that only 16 gb were used... i assumed that XGB db takes X gb of ram.... so 6gb databases, 3 of them, would max out the 16gb.
    BUT, all I wanted to find out, is if perhaps there is some setting that I am not aware of that is preventing SQL from cashing in memory... from your responses, I gather this is not the case.
    Thanks for your responses!!
  4. RickNZ New Member

Which edition of SQL 2008 are you using?
    Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit?
    How are you measuring the amount of memory that's being used?
  5. ghemant Moderator

Welcome to the Forums!!Well, as suggested try to capture I/O (see what it returns by running I/O related DMVs)Regards