SQL Server Performance

SQL-Server performing slow on Xeon-Server

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by SQL-Newbie, Jan 21, 2003.

1. SQL-Newbie New Member

Hi all.
    I have a SQL-server2000 running on a P4-2.2Ghz machine that has 1Gb RAM and IDE disk. It is all running sweet. (this server will be reffered to as "old-server" in this post)

I have just got my self a new server due to expected growth.
    My new server is like this:
    Intell Xeon 2.0Ghz
    3Gb DDR-RAM
    80Gb SCSI-disk. (This server will be reffered to as "new-server" in this post)

Wow a sweet machine I thought..

I installed SQL2k on the new server, and SQL is installed and configured exactly the same as my old server. The same databases and settings.
    The weird thing is the following:
    On my new server SQL does not perform good at all. It is running slow, and all applications "talking" to the SQL is allso much slower than the old server.

I benchmarked both servers many times under different situations, and the results are that my new server (the one with Xeon) is allmost twice as fast as the old one! All the time.

Now why is only SQL not able to perform on the new machine? Is there something that "everybody knows" that I have forgoten?

The applications accesing the SQL is written in VB, and I thought maybe that they did not like the Xeon technology, but I wrote some test-apps and they show the same results as the benchmark did.
    The applications accessing the SQL, I wrote for the old server in the same VB as I wrote the test apps in. Just that when SQL runs on my Xeon server, it does not perform at all.

I hope I put in enough info for you all, and I really hope for some feedback on this.
    Just let me know if I have not put in enough info for you.

Best Regards
    Jorgen (SQL-Newb)

ps: typoes occur because I am not from a english-talking country.

I am new to the wonders of SQL, and may need some pointers.
  2. satya Moderator

(repeated answer from SQLMAG)
    The first of assessing the slow performance can be done using SQL PROFILER and PERFMON from OS, which will give you starting point for this slow performance.

Being the application is written and it depends how it queries the databases, and also indexes and usage of views.

HTH

Satya SKJ
  3. bradmcgehee New Member

If I were you, here is some of the steps I would take.

First, be sure that each SQL Server is set up exactly, with the same server configurations. Run sp_configure on both servers and see if all the settings are identical.

Also, how did you move your databases from the old to the new server? Also, after having moved the databases, have you rebuilt the indexes on the new server? If not, I would give that a try.

After all these, then as satya has suggested, running Profiler and Performance Monitor would be a good step to narrow down the differences. By running the same test on both, and comparing results, you should be able to identify any major differences.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  4. satya Moderator

On the lighter side do not attempt to run PROFILER and PERFMON from the server being higher spec.

Satya SKJ