SQL Server Performance

SQL Server running slow

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by gaurav_bindlish, Sep 26, 2003.

1. gaurav_bindlish New Member

My Client is feeling some slowness in the response time for SQL server. The version is 6.5. Service pack version is out of question as even if they don't have one, they won't apply any as this is a live system.

The CPU, locking et. looks good. The only trouble I could see was that TempDB was full and the machine was restarted. Now the log size has gone to 0 but the status of log in the command DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE) shows 1 whereas BOL says it is always 0.

Any ideas?

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  2. satya Moderator

Run DBCC CHECKTABLE(SYSLOGS)

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  3. thomas New Member

In SQL Server 6.5 the data and log are on a shared segment for tempdb so you can't report on log space used, even by issuing dbcc checktable(syslogs). You may want to consider expanding tempdb on a new device if it isn't large enough for their requirements.

Tom Pullen
    DBA, Oxfam GB
  4. gaurav_bindlish New Member

Thanks guys! I executed Satya's command and it seems there is a space problem in tempdb device.

The issue has been escalated and so gone out of my hands....

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  5. satya Moderator

I should thank Tom for the add-up about 6.5 bug... ...anyway glad to know the result.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com