SQL Server Performance

SQL Server Tools

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by Wingenious, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Wingenious New Member

Would a typical SQL Server DBA or database developer ever be willing to buy a coherent and comprehensive package of advanced T-SQL routines?

There seems to be quite a bit of excitement and discussion with regard to short/simple T-SQL scripts. SQL Server web sites solicit short/simple T-SQL scripts and publish them for all to download. The advantage of such scripts is that they are free. The disadvantage is that they are often very narrow in scope and they are written with very different styles (they are written by many different authors).

There is no shortage of SQL Server tools that put a GUI on certain common tasks (such as database schema comparison). We are apparently buying those tools in sufficient quantities to support several companies. There are a number of other tasks that I, as a SQL Server DBA and database developer, do for which I do not have a GUI tool. Maybe GUI tools are not appropriate for the tasks, the tools do not exist, or the tools cost an exorbitant amount.

There are commercial packages of source code in other software development contexts, but there does not seem to be any established market for T-SQL source code. Why not? Are SQL Server folks choosing to "roll their own" when it comes to T-SQL scripts? If so, then who are the people that eagerly request and download short/simple T-SQL scripts? Are SQL Server folks so short of funding that they can not afford to buy T-SQL tools? If so, then who are the people that buy tools costing about $3,000 per user (from Princeton Softech)?

Brian
  2. Argyle New Member

I think most people "roll their own" as you say. And downloading and looking at a script on a forum usually is enough to get you in the right direction and apply it in your own environment. For me it's not often I find a script that fit directly into an environment I administer or a database design I'm working on. There are of course exceptions with classic functions like calculating age based on a date, doing some matchematical calculation etc.

/Argyle
  3. satya Moderator

I have seen numerous websites and resources offering TSQL help, (for free) other than this what do you want.

_________
    Satya SKJ
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  4. vbkenya New Member

Most SQL Server environments are unique in many ways and very rarely would a 'comprehensive T-SQL tool' be the solution to the various issues faced by the respective DBA's. The software development/IT world has thrived for a long time on 'open source' scripts and newsgroups and T-SQL is no exception.

There are those who will opt to buy 'expensive' tools, others will first look for the 'quick' fix, while some like me will start by looking for free tools, then try to "roll" out my own and eventually buy (like in the case of Lumigent Log explorer where my own log analysis tool wasn't good enough and the evaluation copy was too tempting).

Budgets may be another issue and remember that DBAs (even the most convincing ones) are normally a step removed from the financial decisions that fuel organizations that can afford these tools. In most places "The administrator is the first and the last tool". Once hired, All should be well.

Nathan H.O.
    SQL-Server-Performance.com
  5. Wingenious New Member

6. bradmcgehee New Member

It would be interesting if somebody (perhaps in the form of freeware or shareware) put together a library of common Transact-SQL routines that was organized, debugged, included error-trapping, and well documented. I imagine that in the form of shareware, some DBA or developer could make a nice little extra income.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
  7. gaurav_bindlish New Member

I agree with Brad on this.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  8. Wingenious New Member

Thanks for the comments!

I have a library of common Transact-SQL routines that I believe is organized and debugged. It includes error-trapping and it is well documented as far as how to call the routines. The library was announced shortly after I posted this topic on this web site and three others. If I had allowed more time for feedback on this topic I may not have announced the library at all, because the concept has been almost universally dismissed. Your comments here are the most receptive. The reasons for the dismissal appear to fall into three groups.

1) There are many who seem to think that the short/simple scripts available for free download represent the maximum level of sophistication for Transact-SQL routines.

2) There are many who seem to think that any Transact-SQL code should be free. The same functionality in another form would be a viable product, but not as Transact-SQL.

3) There are many who seem to be simply too arrogant to consider anything other than their own programming. They think their programming abilities are superior to the rest of us. There is very little that one can do to change such an attitude, even if reality might suggest a rather different conclusion on relative abilities.

Does the library sound interesting enough for you to want to take a look?

Do you think that Transact-SQL code (or any source code) can be released as shareware with any hope of receiving a payment?

Brian
  9. bradmcgehee New Member

I have locked this topic, and also deleted several replies that don't meet the policy of this forum.

Thanks.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster