SQL Server Performance

SQL server:total server memory counter doesn't show correct RAM allocation

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by WingSzeto, Jul 25, 2008.

1. WingSzeto Member

We are testing a SQL 2005 std 32 bit installation on a Windows 2003 64 bit server. Due to some budgetary reason, we can't install SQL 2005 std 64 bit at this moment. Anyway, according to BOL, SQL 2005 will take whatever RAM the OS gives. The server has a 24 Gbytes of RAM and the task manager shows it as well. In the SQL 2005, I enabled the AWE and set the min server memory to 10 G and the max to 20 G. I like to see if SQL 2005 does utilize this additional memory and the perfmon is the tool I use.
    Since I am using 64 bit OS, the 64 bit perfmon can't see the 32 bit SQL performance counters. I haven't been able to find a fix for this yet. In the meantime, I use the 32 bit perfmon and am able to see the SQL counters. But the SQLserver:total server memory counter only shows 15 Mbytes of usage. I am expecting to see at least 10 Gbytes. I think this way because even though there no SQL activity, if my min server memory is set to 10 Gbytes, the counter should show 10 Gbytes at the minimal. Am I correct?
    The usage i am seeing maybe because of the 32 bit version of SQL 2K5. Does anyone have this type of setup? Can someone clarify whether I am seeing the right memory usage? OR is there other setup I have to do to make it show correctly?
    wingman
  2. satya Moderator

Did you see the results from DBCC MEMORYSTATUS?