SQL Server Performance

SQL Server Video Training is Becoming All the Rage

Discussion in 'Brad M McGehee' started by bradmcgehee, May 19, 2008.

1. bradmcgehee New Member

Over this past year, I have noticed how popular online video training has become. Video training on virtually any topic can be found, anywhere from free, to nominal cost, and even high dollar. All you have to do is to do an Internet search for the topic of interest, and include "video training" as part of your search phrase.
    As a SQL Server DBA, I find myself spending a lot of time self-learning. Most of my time is spent reading books and practicing. I have tried some conventional, web-based training, but most of it is boring and forces you into following a particular curriculum, which may or may not meet your needs. In addition, much of it is expensive.
    On the other hand, I have found video-based training to be less boring (maybe because I am part of the TV generation). In addition, most video-based training allows you to "learn" on your own time schedule, which is a better fit for my tight schedule.
    As you might imagine, many web sites have begun offering SQL Server video training. One of my personal favorites is www.LearnItFirst.Com. It is run by Scott Whigham, an experienced SQL Server consultant and trainer. He offers a full range of SQL Server training, all the way from DBA and T-SQL basics, to more specific topics, such as SSIS, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services. The cool thing about his training videos is that they are AVI-based, so you can download them and watch them anytime you want, using virtually any device you want to view them on. The web site charges a nominal fee if you want to download and watch all the available videos, but there are lots of free videos you can download. This way, you can give them a try before you decide to spend money on the training.
    As the Internet continues to develop, and as bandwidth becomes greater and less expensive, I imagine that video-based training will continue to grow and evolve, perhaps becoming the preferred way how most people learn on the Internet.
  2. svelmoe New Member

Thank you for the link :)I try to read as many books, blogs about databases/SQL to increase my own knowledge in the field. And "watching" it done can provide a different means of learning then merely reading and help it stick.