SQL Server Performance

SQL Using A lot Processor

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by jtfox12, Sep 10, 2007.

1. jtfox12 New Member

Hello all,
    I am relatively intermediate when it comes to SQL. I have a Dual Xeon 3.0 GHZ (HT so Windows shows 4 processors). with 9 GB or RAM. Hard drive confirguraiton is 10K 300 GB SCIS RAID1. W2k3 Ent SP1 and SQL 2k SP4. The drive is fragmented and the AWE is not enabled. But I don't have a memory problem. I have a processor usage problem. The system is constantly using more than 50 % processor and when I import a lot of Access databases and run queries the processor usage spikes to 100%. I did not originally configure this system but I am tasked with manageing it now. I really need to improve performance on the system. The database that is used is 100 GB (approximately). I run database maintenance daily. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

1) Turn off HT.
    2) How many processor do you have for parallelism?
    3) Run Profiler to find out queries using high CPU. Try to optimize those queries.
    Suggestion. Step by Step. Not all at once.
  3. jtfox12 New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    1.) Why would I disable HT? ONe of the articles on this very sight indicate that when experiencing CPU bottlenecks to get faster processors, use xeon caliber processors and/or use HT processors. I have dual Xeon 3.0GHZ HT processors. So why disable the HT?
    2.) I would assume with a dual processor system I would have two processors for parallelism? So I should turn on parallelism with HT off or with HT on?
    3.) The querry that bottlenecks the CPU is the import of almost 200 Access databases. What exactly would I run in the profiler? A trace? What would I look for in the trace? Or Performance monitor, what should I look at?
    I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this. I have never had to work with an SQL server that has these types of issues. Typically, they just work.
  4. satya Moderator