SQL Server Performance

SQL2008 x64 installation error (sqlbrowser did not start)

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by snoopi2001, Jan 27, 2009.

1. snoopi2001 New Member

Hallo,
    im trying to install SQL2008 x64 Failover Cluster on Windows 2003 Enterprise x64 SP2 (Cluster with 2 Nodes). The installation stops with an error (start service sqlbrowser). It occurs at installation progress point "SQLBrowserAction_install_Startup_CPU32". The event log shows "SQL-configuration is inaccessible or invalid". When I start the sqlbrowser.exe manually, the service stops immediately.[:(]
    Any help is highly appreciated.
  2. ndinakar Member

Are you sure the OS is x64? >>>"SQLBrowserAction_install_Startup_CPU32".
  3. Saurabh Srivastava New Member

I have seen this behavior on SQL Server 2008 x-64 especially on Win-2003 clusters in CTP version. I hope this is resolved in RTM, not sure though:) and you are using the same. I'm pretty sure that you have SQL Server 2005 WOW 64 already installed on that cluster.
    Resolution: Make sure permissions were properly granted to 'Administrators' group in Registry Key 'SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server'
    1. From Windows Registry Editor, select the “HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftMSQLServer” registry key.
    2. Right-click on the registry key, select Permissions.
    3. On the “Permissions” dialog, click Advanced.
    4. On the “Permissions” tab of the “Advanced Security Settings” dialog, select the checkbox for “Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects.”
    5. Click OK to enable the change.
    6. Click Yes on the warning dialog.
    7. Click OK to close the permissions dialog.
    8. For each child key under the “HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftMSQLServer” entry, try to view the permissions dialog for the key: right-click on the key and select Permissions. If you get a message saying permissions are broken, have regedit reset permissions to default values. The message may say something like:
    The permissions on CurrentVersion are incorrectly ordered, which may cause some entries to be ineffective. Press OK to continue and sort the permissions correctly, or Cancel to reset the permissions.
    9. Run setup again.
    HTH
    Saurabh
  4. joseph.liu New Member

Saurabh,
    I have the same issue and make me unable to install SQL 2008.
    My environment is Win2003 x64 Enterprise Trad Chn + SQL 2008 x64 Enterprise Trad Chn.
    The Win2003 is a clean install with every possible Microsoft Updates done. I checked the permissions you mentioned above and all of them are set correctly. Please advise what to do next.
    BTW, before I use Win2003, I used Win2008 x64 Enterprise Trad Chn as the OS. However, when I run the System Configuration Checker, I got an error on the "Performance Counter Library". It seems that the registry is corrupted. Unluckily, the help popped up directs me to KB 300956 which is a solution for Win2003 only. That's why I go for Win2003 because I can't find any solution. Do you know what's going on here?
    Thanks.
    Joseph