SQL Server Performance

SSIS on 2 nodes cluster

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by shabnyc, Jun 23, 2010.

1. shabnyc Member

Hi All, I am new to cluster environment.
    we have 2 nodes cluster active/passive, we have an SSIS package in the virtual node. the package should run and copy data from another server into databases in the cluster. the package always fails. my question is where should we execute the ssis from? Is it from virtual machine or from the active node. when I want to add objects to the database in the cluster, should I add it in the virtual machine or add to the active node.
    your help is appreciated
  2. melvinlusk Member

What do you mean by "virtual machine"? Are you running two cluster nodes that are virtual machines?
    If your cluster is truly active/passive, it probably only has a single instance of SQL Server. If it's the default instance, integration services probably has the same name as the active node.
  3. shabnyc Member

virtual machine that we monitor the cluster from. some admins say what ever I wanna do on the cluster, we should do it thru this virtual machine and not touch the active/passive nodes.
  4. shab_nyc New Member

some how VIA (from configuration manager) was enabled. I disabled it, started the SQL services from command prompt, now it works OK.
  5. satya Moderator

Are you using any specific hardware?
    Because Virtual Interface Adapter (VIA) protocol works with VIA hardware that is used for System Area Networks, which are high-speed networks connecting servers or clusters of servers.
  6. shabnyc Member

I will get the error message and post here, this messge and a suggestion from a member of server team pushed me to disable VIA.
  7. satya Moderator

As you say Virtual environment is used, it is better to contact vendor as well to see if their application is using VIA, in the past I had similar issue where VIA protocol is disabled & vendor's HW replication software stopped working.
  8. shabnyc Member

Satya, I will check that.
    Thanks everyone for your help.
  9. shabnyc Member

hmmmmmmmmmm, management decided to turn off the cluster and use machines as regular SQL server. Is this possible? I think there will be alots of issues right
  10. satya Moderator

Yes it is possible, what kind of problem you have to remove the nodes from cluster and use it as standalone servers?
  11. shabnyc Member

There are too many problems, I guess who ever setup the cluster did not install it the right way. Management decided to break the cluster since it has too many problems. since I did not work much with cluster nor did I uninstall it before, I am not sure what is the proper way to break it. any help Satya?
  12. satya Moderator

Is that only reason mgmt wanted to take down the whole cluster? Crazy...
    Any chance you can pursue them to reinstate the Cluster setup back so that HA is not compromised?
  13. shabnyc Member

No, it Must be broken
  14. satya Moderator

Well its not a problem as the management decided to do it from scratch, this is your chance to pickup new concepts of Clustering and if you need further help on setting up & configuration of cluster this site is your best resource and you know forums are available 24/7 too.
  15. shabnyc Member

So, Is there a special procedure to follow for breaking cluster, and use boxes as stand alone SQL servers.
  16. satya Moderator

17. shabnyc Member

Thanks Satya. Actually when I came here, the first thing they asked me to do is removing the cluster. It was already missed up because it was not set up properly. The management wasnt happy at all of the envirnoment. I tried to convince them to reinstate it but they were already tired of it.
    - so basically following steps in the above link, will totally eliminate the cluster and every related component. Am I right/wrong?
  18. satya Moderator

Oh well I'm trying to boost your confidence to prove them wrong by reinstalling every thing with regard to cluster.
    You can take help of above artcles in this regard.
  19. shabnyc Member

I Wish I can have a chance to re-install everything, it would be awesome. I will update you if get them convinced. Thanks Satya