SQL Server Performance

SSIS performance consideration

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Integration Services' started by jethrojaw, Feb 5, 2009.

1. jethrojaw New Member

I have a SSIS package that copies data from one table in SQL Server instance A to a table in SQL Server instance B. The two SQL Server instances (A and B) reside on different physical servers.
    The question is:
    How is performance impacted (if at all) if I kicked off the package from a third server which happens to be a less powerful server than either of the servers hosting instance A or instance B? Would it be faster if I kicked off the package from either of the servers hosting the source or target instances?
    Does the data travel from instance A to the server kicking off the package and then go to instance B or does the data go directly from instance A to instance B?
    Is it generally a bad idea to kick off packages from a server that is not part of the process?
    Thanks in advance for your replies and assistance.
    Jethro
  2. satya Moderator

Are these 2 instances (Server A & B) are on same network domain?
    Do you see any other process & jobs running at the same time?
    How many processes are using UPDATE & INSERT porcess?
  3. jethrojaw New Member

satya,
    The two instances are on 2 separate servers on the same network. I want to kick off the ssis package which moves data on one instance to data in the other instance. My real concern is does the data travel from source server to the server where the SSIS package is initiated and then flow to the target instance. Or does the data flow directly from the source server to the target server even though the ssis package (which is saved as a flat file) is initiated from a third server.
    Thanks,
    Jethro
  4. satya Moderator

THis is a round robin method, if you are calling a package on Server A from server C which transfers rows to Server B then every step in package needs a confirmation from C to A thus cauisng performance impct.