SQL Server Performance

SSMS 2005 - Import Data - Access/Excel Missing???

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by inspectorgadjet, Apr 4, 2008.

1. inspectorgadjet New Member

Hi.
    I've been dealing with a frustrating problem for a few weeks and just can't find the answer. One of our users has SQL 2005 Standard Edition installed on his pc as he is responsible for managing our reporting services. He often needs to import data from Excel, but if he uses Import data in management studio, the options for Access and Excel just aren't there. If I look in ODBC on his pc they are available, and he can use them as data sources if he uses SSIS. He would however prefer to be able to just do a straight import in management studio.
    I've done everything I can think of. I've updated to SP2, I've uninstalled the workstation components and reinstalled and then run SP2 again. I've tried to update MDAC. I've done the regsvr dtsconn.dll thing. I've checked the CLSID in the registry for permission problems, and I've googled my eyeballs out to find a way to fix this, but aside from reinstalling his OS, I don't know what else to do. He would obviously prefer not to have to reinstall the OS as he's got loads and loads of things configured. But I'm now at a loss and don't know what else to try.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks! [:)]
  2. madhuottapalam New Member

3. inspectorgadjet New Member

Thanks. As I said I've been googling like mad and have not found anything that worked. I have already tried the suggestion in the forum you mentioned.