SQL Server Performance

SSMS Timeout Error

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by Tester1, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Tester1 New Member

Hi all,

I'mhaving an issue connecting to a SQL2008 instance which is built onWindows 2008. The error that I am getting is "Timeout Expired". Thetimeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or theserver is not responding.

I am able to connect via sql analyzer.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  2. Adriaan New Member

"Time-out" is just your client application telling you that the process is taking longer than the time-out setting for the connection (by default typically 30 or 60 seconds).
    You can change the time-out setting to 0 (no time-out) and just wait-and-see how long it takes for the process to finish.
    Or you can investigate the process and the objects involved (stored procedures, tables, indexes, query statements, and so on and so forth) to see if there are ways to speed up the process.
  3. Tester1 New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for this, but my issue is that this is a bnlank server with no dbs on there as yet!
  4. Adriaan New Member

So how long does it take to connect using SQL Analyzer? And after you connected using SQL Analyzer, did you try again with SSMS?
    Could still be the time-out setting for the client app (both SQL Analyzer and SSMS are still client apps).
    Are you using Windows authentication in both cases? And is the server under a different domain? Does your (network) account have explicit permissions on the instance of SQL Server, or implied?
  5. Tester1 New Member

I have checked that and yes still the same. I wonder if this has something to do with the firewall? but I can't see how since I am able to connect via analyser.
  6. Adriaan New Member

If default instance, try the IP address, instead of the server name.
  7. Tester1 New Member

I tried that as well and still the same.[quote user="Adriaan"]If default instance, try the IP address, instead of the server name.[/quote]
  8. Adriaan New Member

You're running SSMS and "SQL Analyzer" on the same workstation? Not through remote desktop?
    By the way, do you mean "SQL Server Query Analyzer" that came with SQL 7.0 and SQL 2000?
    And if you're using Windows Authentication, then try SQL Authentication.
  9. Tester1 New Member

Yes Correct. I've tried sql authentication and that timed out as well. I suspect it's the firewall that's playing up.
  10. Adriaan New Member

Well, if "SQL Analyzer" is not timing out then it must be connecting differently.
    Try the client-side settings - TCP/IP vs. Named Pipes, etc.
  11. kamila_thilanke New Member

Try this ... Goto Program menu - Microsoft SQL Server 2008/Configuration Tools/SQL Server Configuration Manager
    If you are using remote PC(client ) you must specify the protocol either Named Pip or TCP/IP , After you configuration done ,try to login to your DB instance with your credential